Menu

Saturday, April 22, 2017

Homemaker: Manager of my Home

I just stay at home.

This is my usual response every time someone asks me what I do. This happens every time I meet someone new. This question always comes up: What do you do? My answer is always: I stay at home, I just stay at home -- those two are my options.

I have been thinking about it lately, why do I feel uncomfortable every time I get asked this question? Why do I feel that I am supposed to be doing something else other than stay home and take care of my home? Could I just be feeling the pressure that all other wives are busy running errands, taking care of children and working outside the home at the same time? The answer is yes. I feel that people who ask me this question want a different answer and would then tell me "Don't you get bored?" or "I can't do, I would go insane".

I STAY AT HOME... AND I LOVE IT! EVERY MINUTE OF IT.

I am a homebody.
Even back in the Philippines, before I got married and was working, I enjoyed every minute of just being home, I loved taking my time to do my chores whether it's cleaning or cooking or organizing. I am homebody. I get drained so easily being around chaos and noise outside my home.

I have lived both. 
I have tried working part time, nothing big or corporate, just something I tried to get me out of the house a few times a week. Did I like it? At first. But when the excitement was gone and I hated getting up a certain time in the morning so I could get to work on time and having to take care of my home when I get home was such a chore. All the more it proved to me that I wanted to just stay at home and take care of my own.

What I learned:
My desire to work was not because I wanted to, it was because I wanted to tell people that "I work at/for so and so if and when I get the question "what do you do?". In reality, I love being home. I love having this much time to myself. I love being able to study, learn anything I want to and take care of my home at my own pace. Believe it or not, I am not bored at home. I feel like I don't have enough time during the day!



I did fight my husband many times because I insisted that I needed to work because I needed something to do, that I was bored and all other things I could think of but when I did finally get it, I was miserable because it really was not what I wanted to do or what my husband wanted me to do. 

I am a keeper of my home. A Homemaker. I am proud to  be, it a beautiful thing, a calling.

While I am home with no children to take care of I also need to be careful that I am accountable to God for how use my time alone. I need to manage and take of my home and grow not just spiritually but also in other areas of my life -- developing a skill and studying to better myself in the things that I love doing.


"She watches over the affairs of her household,
 and does not eat the bread of idleness."
                                                                                                                   
Proverbs 31:27


I hope you enjoyed this and that I have encouraged you if you are someone struggling with the same feelings. I have resolved to say with confidence that I do manage my home. Hope you will too. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Soooo inspiring sis.. I'm a pinay, �� bisdak from Cdo, wife & mother.. I'm also a homemaker. Still adjusting life here in the US.
I've been working in phils.. now that i lived here my hubby wanted me to stay home. I love my life here.. and I can do all things through HIM WHO GIVES ME STRENGTH. God bless sis!

Jijie Forsythe said...

awww... thanks for leaving a comment sis, it's encouraging to know that I am not alone. the Lord bless you and works of your hands. being a mom is a lot of work too, i'm pretty sure you keep busy.