Menu

Thursday, October 26, 2017

Hermit's Cove, Aloguinsan Cebu, Philippines Review

First of all, I will show you photos of this place that I took. If you stumbled upon or are reading this post, you must be looking for a review about this place, so I will give you my thoughts about this place. It's not my intention to persuade anybody one way or another, it is just to help those who are undecided about whether or not they should visit this place.

If you would like to use any of these photos, please contact me. Do not use without permission. Or purchase them through Twenty20


cottages. more like tables and a bamboo bench. it is tight in there.

right end of the beach while standing in front of the cottages



left end of the beach and the 82 steps coming down

right end of the beach



I'm hoping you made it this far. With all those beautiful photos, I would like to tell you, do not let the photos fool you. I like my photos to look good, I work on them to make them look like so.

Onto my thoughts.....


1. This is a government program of some sort. 

The workers are residents of the area which I think is a good source of livelihood for the people here. They will give you an orientation of some sort if you're there for the first time. And you can't take anything with you (like corals).


2. It will cost you 100PHP/head and 5PHP per bucket of water you use. (As of Sept 2017).

We went under the impression that it will cost 20 pesos per person, because of word of mouth (without knowing that they went ages ago). Anyway, this 100 per person, you will be assigned a cottage (in photo), with no additional charge.


3. It is quite a hike going to and from the beach area.

Photo included -- they say it's 82 steps. This is not too bad if you're going down and you didn't bring a lot of stuff with you. They will help you carry stuff to and from the cottage but you will get winded out. By the time we got in our vehicle, I said "never again".

4. There are dogs, a lot of them -- and they want food.

I didn't think to take photos of them because I was annoyed by that fact. The staff tries to scare them away but they still come back.

5. They will cook or grill for you at a charge. 

The lady told us 150/kilo of meat that you let them cook.

6. Low tide will be a bad day to go.

We went blindly and did not even check tide levels online. Well, we unfortunately went during a low tide -- pretty much all day. The water will be super low, you will not be able to swim, you will be crawling around, you will hit your knees with rocks and corals.

7. This is a very small beach.

Aside from it being too small, you are not allowed to swim outside the Styrofoam floaters that serve as markers. If you go beyond it, they have a megaphone and will call your attention.


Conclusion and Recommendation:

1. I would recommend go as light as possible. Take disposable plates, cups and utensils so you don't have to carry them up on your way home, because I'm telling you -- you will complain.

2. Check and make sure you go on a high tide because it's not worth the distance if you just end up crawling around instead of swimming.

3. Not good for older people because of the steps. For teenager and young people, yes.

4. I don't like paying 5 pesos for a bucket of water.

6. Between the distance, the water and the price of water, I would choose black sand over a white sand any day.


Thank you for reading. I hope you enjoy it if you do go. Have fun!

No comments: