Menu

Thursday, June 30, 2016

How I Edit My Photos For Instagram

Yeah baby, that's my phone, I know she's a beauty. LOL. I bought it for the camera. 

Firstly, I am an Android user (Droid Turbo) cause I'm cool like that, I use a canon 5D Mark III on days that I am not out running around or if I feel like bruising my neck during my long walks. Today, I am sharing exclusively about the photos that I take with my Canon, and share with you the steps I do to get them to Instagram. Follow along, hopefully you will learn a thing or two that you can apply in yours.

Please note, I don't use instagram filters because it will mess up my white background/border.

And make sure: Your photo crop dimensions are the same every single time: always crop to the original dimensions. If you are taking photos with your phone, you will then have to resize them to 6:4 ratio (because my phone takes wide screen and it took me a while to figure out the dslr crop original ratio. I know it's sad! Don't even talk to me about it) to copy the dslr original crop ratio.


Shooting
I learned not too long ago: the trick to having a sleek, clean, crisp looking IG feed is color coordination and uniformity. So, as much as possible, AGAIN --- IF possible, I try to shoot with white background, or clip my backgrounds so it appears white, I know it's a no-no to lose details, but I like it. It's my style. I like to overexpose.

I stay away from shooting portrait style, because I don't like how it looks on my feed with the other photos. I still do it, but every time I go through my feed I get the urge to delete. EEERRRR... But, you do you.


Editing
I edit in Lightroom, and tweak the lighting and contrast to suit my taste, I don't use presets, but I try to be consistent. I watermark my photos upon exporting.


Pre-posting Prep
We all know Instagram is only for mobile devices, so I email the photo to myself -- I use gmail because it allows for bigger file size, then I download it to my phone. Now I can take it to the app I use to fit the square!

App

Android: Square Droid (there's a lot of apps for IOS out there, so if you are using iPhone, you have so many options, good for you! You go girl!).

After downloading the photo, I then open on squaredroid, resize it to 95%, change border to plain white. (The app automatically detects colors in the photo and selects one to use as border, but I want my feed to look clean, so I use white, the same white every single time, and the same percentage (remember it so you don't have to figure it out the next time you do it). And then post it to instagram! 




To recap the steps: shoot, edit, watermark, send, download, resize and and pick border color and you're ready to post.

Now, I can post on IG quick. It used to take my about 20 minutes to figure out how what I used on the previous one, until I figured out why and they don't match.

I hope this helps you and that I was understandable. I don't know anymore, sometimes my husband doesn't understand me. So I question my English sometimes. LOL.

Alright bye! Let me know you were here, talk to me! I like talking to you guys, girls, child...

See you when I come up with something again. Ciao!

XO

Jijie

2 comments:

Sophie said...

Great post! Thanks for the advice. I love your style. It's so unique, probably because you aren't afraid to break the rules. I'm so excited that you're now blogging. I'm definitely going to follow along.

Jijie Forsythe said...

Hi Sophie! Thanks for reading. As long as we know the rules we're allowed to break it, right? ;) I'll follow your journey too. God bless you dear Sophie <3